The Configuration and Design Data Management capability in Bristol is responsible for ensuring that Defence UK maintains configuration and change control of product data throughout its lifecycle through implementation of Configuration Management principles.This is achieved through documenting the functional and physical characteristics of the product, controlling changes to those characteristics and providing information on the state of change action to programmes, customers and governing authorities.
The Project Configuration Specialist and Configuration Engineer
roles deliver this accountability by ensuring that the changes to a product are appropriately managed. This includes overseeing the change board process through a cross functional team using configuration management principles, operating in change management tools and supporting documentation/archiving.
The Project Configuration Specialist and Configuration Engineer work across multiple Defence products dealing with a range of complex partner company and customer interactions required to manage our product configurations including coordination and effective negotiations with external organisations. Maintaining data integrity is vital to this role so attention to detail, robustness and customer focus are important qualities.
Product configuration information is maintained through the construction and maintenance of product structures and bills of material, the creation and documentation of baselines at key stages of the product lifecycle and the authoring of change modification documentation.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
We're the second largest global provider of defence aero-engine products and services globally with 16,000 engines in the service of 160 customers in 100 countries. Our engines power aircraft in every major sector, including: transport, combat, patrol, trainers, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.Key responsibilities:
- Lead the planning and implementation of configuration management principles, business rules, processes and procedures including leading change meetings, determining change tracks for Investigation Requests, selecting change effectivities and authoring modification/change authorization documents.
- Provide configuration support to internal programme, customer and partner companies for configuration queries, in configuration and change process meetings, across process working groups, for configuration audits and in change boards (possibly including travel to consortium offices).
- Document decisions in the change management system (including agenda preparation and minutes) and collect/report change metrics according to the process and project requirements.
- Define and maintain the initial engineering product structure comprising the primary systems and sub-systems bills of material of a product, taking into account the downstream business and in-service activities such as design in context, manufacturing, logistics and maintenance, repair & overhaul.
- Disseminate engineering design definitions in terms of part numbers, quantities and assigning individual locations within the product structure bills of material, determined by their individual or collective physical and functional characteristics.
- Perform review of proposed product definition changes to assure configuration integrity in support of the design technical approval process.
These roles interface across multiple functions of the business (project team, design organisation, supply chain, commercial partners and customers) to ensure that the change process is implemented effectively including assessing inputs received and discussing impacts with the relevant stakeholders.
These roles also provide exposure to the programme management skill along with understanding the technical implications of a change including interpretation of commercial and financial information.Qualifications and experience:
- Higher Education in Engineering (minimum BTEC/HNC or other national equivalent).
- An understanding of configuration management principles and experience in a configuration or project/programme management position
- Well organised and self-motivated with good interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively with internal and external customers and organisations.
- IT literate with the ability to work within a range of IT systems.
- Good technical writing skills with attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Configuration Management CMII certification.
- Experience with configuration and change management toolsets.
- Experience with product lifecycle management toolsets.
We offer excellent development, a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.Pioneer
the performance of the future. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.Beyond tomorrow
We are an equal opportunities employer. We're committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we'll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy here .
At Rolls-Royce we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possibleClosing Date:
27th January 2020Job Category
System Design Posting Date
14 Jan 2020; 00:01