Business Objects Developer Job Code:
1151306 Skill Band:
United Kingdom - London Type:
FTC Date Posted:
15 Oct 2019
Business Objects Developer
One Lime Street,
All roles within Lloyd's have an integral part to play in the achievement of the Strategy and will contribute overtly to:
L loyd's becoming a brand that is globally admired and recognised and respected for its reputation as the world's specialist centre for insurance and reinsurance. Lloyd's will be known around the world for its integrity and will be a place where talented, diverse and socially responsible employees feel proud to work. This role will practice and promote the principles of inclusiveness and respect the value of diversity.
In service of Strategy the Data Product Development team designs, builds and delivers data products ready for operational use in Lloyd's Corporation, the Lloyd's market or by the general public. One of the software packages we use to create these products is Business Objects. We have a mature environment with 6 servers, 40 universes and over 20,000 reports. This role will be to support the maintenance and improvements to this Business Objects platform. The Role;
The Business Objects Developer will be key to achieving the vision and supporting the operational imperatives of:
- Achieving the strategic themes of Protecting, Promoting and Providing Services To the Lloyd's Market. We will work with various business functions to help them achieve these goals through using our products.
- Developing data products
-Operational and transaction based reporting
-Data quality and verification reporting
-Business Intelligence and Management Information reporting
-Regulatory, Tax and Finance reporting
-Market facing analytics, benchmarks or websites
- Delivering value. Each data product will prove it's worth by adding value or reducing cost. We will structure and monitor our contribution on this basis:
-Cost reductions in targeted areas e.g. rationalise BI activity, improve efficiency through automation, improve procurement of data and consideration of outsourcing opportunities
-Empowerment of people e.g. enhance decision making capability, enable more information to be analysed, improved exception or monitoring reporting
- Revenue uplift / opportunity identification e.g. supporting the identification of commercial opportunities, highlighting profitable/unprofitable areas of the market to suggest corrective action
What is a data product? A data product is something that we develop and supply to users (either within the Lloyd's Corporation, the Lloyd's market or the general public) that they use to derive value. All data products are monitored for value generated, usage and cost to maintain. We actively develop these to their increase usage or value.
Current examples: Internal to Lloyd's
External to Lloyd's Corporation
- Broker MI QlikView dashboard showing all global Lloyd's premiums for 7 years. Can be used to see who our top brokers are in each country and class of business and see how their business is trending.
- Supplier Spend Analysis Qlik Sense dashboard and associated NPrinting reports to analyse all procurement spend of Lloyd's, map it to categories of suppliers to better manage our spend and relationships with suppliers. NPrinting reports highlight where payments need to be made and by whom as well as showing exceptions that need attention.
- Insights Hub Our next generation market analytics service providing ease to use data insigts for all members of the Lloyd's market.
- Lloyd's Statistics Defacto statistical report produced through a selection of SAP Business Objects reports that is used across the Lloyd's Market by hundreds of businesses to benchmark their performance and understand the market. This report is also sold on a subscription basis to other companies to understand the trends within the Lloyd's market.
- City Risk Index Public website and soon to be Qlik Sense interactive dashboard that allows members of the public to understand global risk in cities that they are interested in and see the potential financial loss from any event occurring.
What will you do?
- Working closely with Data Lab Business Partners to understand the requirements of data product customers
- Find areas of improvement within existing data products and propose solutions (eg capability improvement, efficiency gains or cost reduction).
- Support the definition of data products with technical know-how and art of the possible suggestions given knowledge of the data, software and architecture
- Design, develop and improve data products
- Develop, present and rapidly iterate prototypes
- Follow best practice to turn prototypes in efficient automated production applications
- Lead unit testing of data products (reconciliation and end user testing will be performed by others)
What you'll need?
- Strong and accurate listener, able to structure, organize and capture requirements.
- Able to question stakeholders and interview them successfully to identify business needs.
- Professional demeanor and communication skills.
- Ability to explain complex or technical ideas in a simple way that others understand
Design of BI products
- Can collaborate well with others on product design and development
- Ability to rapidly deliver work in an agile manner, keeping focus on customer requirements but showing clear measurable progress
- Adherence to agreed data architecture standards
- Ability to design and deliver productionised data products
- Can identify technical improvements to existing data products
Servicing of data product customers
- Can support training of users and business experts
- Can support training of technical support team
- Ability to continuously improve data products and their associated production needs
As the successful candidate, you can expect to be rewarded with a competitive annual salary and benefits.
We are committed to flexible working, therefore if you would like to consider this as a part-time opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
At Lloyd's we believe that innovation comes from having an inclusive culture of equality and diversity. We use ClearTalents to discover how we might help you feel welcomed, supported and able to do as well as you can when applying to work for us, including identifying any reasonable adjustments that we may need to make. Should you feel that you require reasonable adjustments during your application process we request that you please follow this link to create a ClearTalents user profile: https://cleartalents.com/apply/lloyds-bod1571155962