Hiscox UK BI & Pricing team is a team that supports all of the Hiscox UK Retail business unit. With one focus on the business and another on IT, we usually play the middleman by helping to bridge these two different worlds. With a wide base of internal clients we are required to support these business units with valuable information, with the aim to back their business decisions and contribute to their success.
The team is currently on a strategic journey to change the way we deliver information to our users. By growing and developing the current BI platform, the end goal is to provide our internal clients the ability to consume data on their own, helping them to understand their requirements as well as delivering outstanding visualisations, enhancing the quality of their business decisions and therefore contribute to the success of Hiscox.The Role
This is a 12 month secondment opportunity. The Data Engineer is a position in the UK BI & Pricing team responsible for the acquisition, transformation and delivery of data to the Hiscox UK business, via reports, scorecards and analytics. The main focus of this role is to provide specific BI technical skills to collate and mould our data provision, evolve the BI strategy and assist in maturing a professional and sustainable BI service. You will be part of both, the technical process of collecting and storing clean, consistent and accurate data and the delivery of this data and insight to a varied client base. Therefore, we are looking for you to be equally comfortable with technical aspects as well as dealing directly with a diverse audience.
As the team continues on its strategic journey you will have the opportunity to shape the path and deliver the outcome. There is also the need for you to contribute and work with the team in delivering our current commitments, so business as usual will certainly be part of this role. As a team with a wide and varied client base we are required to support and improve existing legacy reporting solutions. Over time we will look to replace these legacy solutions by migrating these to the BI service, but in the interim these existing solutions need to be supported.
What you will be doing as a Data Engineer
You will be a subject matter expert in Business Intelligence, responsible for acquiring, transforming and storing clean, consistent and accurate data. With that you will be delivering data and insights to a varied client base and at the same time supporting the team in delivering the current commitments by running processes already in place.
Additionally you will be playing an important role on evolving and delivering the overall BI strategy with the team. The focus here will be on maturing a sustainable framework that will improve the way we work and deliver BI solutions to our users.
Person Specification: Our technical must haves
Personality trades you should bring
- Graduate, ideally with a Mathematical or Computer Science degree, or equivalent relevant experience
- A solid background (preferably a minimum of 5 years) in Business Intelligence with both an understanding of the concepts and the delivery of multiple projects
- Experience in Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft BI tools (focus on SSIS), ETL, Dimensional Modelling
- Experience with BI Data Presentation tools
- Proven experience of deriving value from data by using Data Analytics
- Fluent in English verbally and written
- Motivated self-starter who can work autonomously and add value in a team
- Passionate with a can-do attitude, looking forward to unlock the value that exists within our data
- Thirst for new technologies and new ways of working to add value to the business
- Ability to sell ideas and concepts providing background knowledge and information to the team as well as internal customers
- Ability to link business needs to IT deliveries
- Customer Relationship Management - ability to build productive relationships with end users and deliver robust solutions to them
- Business focused
- Ability to work with ambiguity and change
- Flexibility in both attitude and delivery style
Our nice to haves
Diversity and flexible working at Hiscox
- Experience with other BI tools e.g. Tableau and Power BI
- Experience with Agile/Scrum based methodologies
- Experience in the Insurance sector or Financial Services.
At Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we're committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success. We also understand that working life doesn't always have to be 'nine to five' and we support flexible working wherever we can. No promises, but please chat to our resourcing team about the flexibility we could offer for this role.