About Network Rail
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britains railway. From Crossrail Europes largest civil engineering project to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
Route Businesses E&W plans, operates and maintains the railway day-to-day. Our business units routes work closely with our customers, and are accountable for improving customer service, safety, and performance, as well as providing a value for money railway.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join NW&C Works Delivery as it embarks upon the next stage of expansion.
Works Delivery is based region wide and focuses on all aspects of planned activities such as Track and Signalling renewals and conversions, Civil Engineering, Buildings Maintenance and Electrification and plant within the route. Roles are based in various locations such as Sandwell and Dudley, Saltley, Watford and London Euston to name but a few.
We are looking for talented people from all backgrounds to join our journey and move us forward by having a rewarding career, the right lifestyle balance and great benefits in a caring environment. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider flexible working applications. If we can make it work we will!
The purpose of this role is to undertake annual property inspections and report on the condition of Network Rail building assets, including stations, depots and lineside buildings to the Route Asset Manager to enable development of robust asset management strategy and ongoing maintenance and renewal plans in line with safety priorities and budget allocation.
If you're looking for an opportunity to join an exciting, diverse business sector, learning new skills and developing existing ones, our Operational Property Inspection team is the place for you. Network Rail is one of the largest land and property owners in the country and is responsible for the maintenance of over 3,000 buildings within the North West and Central region alone. About the role (External)
1. Manage and deliver a defined asset condition survey workbank in line with statutory compliance requirements, ensuring surveys are completed to prescribed deadlines and relevant company standards.
2. Actively contribute to the development of robust survey programmes and regularly report to the Assistant Delivery Manager on progress against the programmes.
3. Develop survey strategies for individual workbank and provide written delivery plan for each detailed survey on a yearly basis.
4. Report asset condition via standard company pro forma and through the company asset management system software, ensuring all asset survey information is uploaded and updated as required.
5. Liaise with Asset Engineers to assist with development of maintenance priority lists and 5 year business plans based on asset conditions as reported during annual asset condition surveys. Highlight key risk areas and defect trends found back to Asset Engineer.
6. Assist the Asset Engineer to produce written technical work scopes and schedules where required for our maintenance teams to deliver planned maintenance activities and reactive repairs.
7. Monitor ongoing planned and reactive maintenance schemes and report progress and quality issues back to the Asset Engineer.
8. Where required, attend hand-back of planned maintenance schemes on behalf of Asset Engineer, ensuring all works are completed as per design and to satisfactory quality and accept asset back into maintenance portfolio utilising company processes, policies and standards.
9. Undertake all required training and continued professional development to ensure continued compliance with company standards, policies, processes and rail specific competencies, including personal track safety.
10. Comply with all Network Rail policies, processes and standards and complete all mandatory periodic reports and checklist documentation.
11. CDM Regulations 2015: Complete the role responsibilities allocated to the role of Building Surveyor under the Route Asset Managers CDM 2015 RACI, and ensure all responsibilities are delivered on behalf of Network Rail in line with company standards.
12. Work nights and weekends as required by the business.
13. Occasional work away from home as required by the business.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Educated to HNC / HND level or equivalent in Building Studies
Experience in surveying asset property portfolios.
Computer literate, including knowledge of Microsoft programmes including Word and Excel.
Strong communication skills.
Full Driving Licence.
Understanding of track safety and railway possessions regime.
Experience of surveying property within the public sector transport environment or similar.
Experience in property asset management & data collection systems (Atrium/OPAS and SDE).
Educated to Degree level.
Knowledge/use of AutoCAD.
Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or equivalent (CIOB).
Land surveying/Total Stations/3D Modelling How To Apply- External
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
We will endeavour to provide a gender diverse interview panel wherever possible.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment personal commitment to safety in their application.
A career with Network Rail is a journey and we will do everything we can to make it a great one. That means plenty of support for personal and professional development. It also means a great range of benefits. Working with us, youll enjoy 28 days holiday, access to a range of contributory pension schemes, and the potential to top up your competitive salary with a bonus. We can offer you a season ticket loan, annual season tickets are discounted. Whats more, you can take advantage of childcare vouchers, discounted cycle hire and more. Discover more at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/careers/life-at-network-rail/
As an arms length department of the UK Government, Network Rail is required to comply with a well-established pre-employment vetting process for all prospective employees.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) checks require prospective employees of Network Rail to meet the following requirements;
Provide eligibility to work in the UK and identity documentation
Complete a satisfactory 3 year employment history check
Complete a satisfactory unspent criminal conviction disclosure check
For more information regarding BPSS pre-employment related checks, please visit the UK Government website for further information.
Salary: 28,000 - 35,000
Closing date: 14th December 2019. Late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes. Currency GBP Amount of Travel Work At Home