- An Infrastructure Engineer for Big Data Platforms
- Based at our head office in Swindon
- Permanent, full time position
You will join our Infrastructure Engineering team, which provides design, build and non-production support services for the IT transformation delivery teams. You will provide strong technical expertise, enabling high quality technical solutions to be delivered at pace.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum you'll:
- Have a proven track record in providing technical delivery through the design, build and implementation of Big Data platforms.
- Have a full appreciation of Big Data platforms and associated technologies.
- Have in depth knowledge and experience of the following:
- Teradata Database 15.x or 16.x (Minimum 3 years)
- Teradata Unity Ecosystem Manager
- Teradata Viewpoint
- Teradata Backup and Recovery
- Teradata Unity Data Mover & Disaster Recovery
- Teradata Query Grid
- Linux OS - RHEL, SUSE or CentOS
- Shell scripting e.g. Bash
- Performance tuning
- Upgrading Teradata and Linux OS
- Infrastructure as Code (Automation and Scripting)
- Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team.
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent.
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders,
gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Informatica 10.x platform - ETL and Data Governance
- Hortonworks/Cloudera Data Platform 2.6.x and above
- Oracle 12c Enterprise Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and above.
- Agile project management methodologies
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
- Knowledge or experience in Informatica
- Knowledge or experience Big Data Warehouses (such as Teradata, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift etc.)
- Knowledge or experience Big Data Databases* (such as HBASE, Cassandra, Mongo DB and other NOSQL DBs, In-Memory databases)
- Big Data Programming languages (such as Python, R, Java, Scala etc.)
- Data Platforms, Data Lakes (such as Cloudera / Horton works, AWS, Azure etc.)
- Big Data Security solutions (such as Ranger)
- Big Data Governance Solutions (such as Collibra, IBM, SAS, Informatica, Adaptive and SAP)
- Big Data Self-service capabilities (such as Splunk, Tableau, TIBCO, Syncsort)
What you'll be doing
Working with other Infrastructure Engineers in our delivery squads, you will be:
- Providing technical input at all stages of the delivery lifecycle, including consultancy to stakeholders
- Providing guidance and direction to less experienced Infrastructure Engineers to help create fit for purpose designs and/or solutions to meet the team objectives
- Capturing and sharing knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within engineering teams
- Contributing towards driving decisions and helping remove blockers to drive forward implementation of technical artefacts
- Acting as a point of escalation, working with and influencing senior stakeholders to remove barriers
- Work with stakeholder/peers to understand how the technical infrastructure deliverables interlock with activities within and outside of the team and where required provide solutions to align with engineering principles and architectural strategy
In addition, you will:
- Contribute to the ongoing maintenance of engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation
- Build a network with other engineers/SMEs to understand best practice and emerging trends within engineering
- Act as an Infrastructure Engineering advocate across Nationwide, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g.: through blog posts, tech talks at technical forums, knowledge share, etc.
- Develop capability of infrastructure engineering team by supporting recruitment and pipeline talent development, through coaching and mentoring
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it's only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we'll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you'll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we'll top it up to 23%• Life assurance worth 8x your salary• 25 days' holiday plus bank holidays• The ability to 'buy' up to 10 days more holiday• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we're here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we're known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We're also the world's largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you'd like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies
Infrastructure Engineer - AppDynamics CompetitiveLocation
Infrastructure Engineer - Monitoring Technologies CompetitiveLocation
Data Engineer CompetitiveLocation
Swindon Head OfficeContract
Data Engineer CompetitiveLocation
Test Engineer CompetitiveLocation
Infrastructure Engineering Manager CompetitiveLocation
Swindon Head OfficeContract