Description Associate Technical Director - Rail Telecoms - Birmingham or Warrington
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what's most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll see it's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It's a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world - and the world around them.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
The railway sector is one of our core markets, a position it has held throughout our history. We pride ourselves on delivering new and exciting resolutions for rail infrastructure design and construction schemes.
Our Telecoms Design Team continues to add to their impressive list of project awards and recent successes have seen them secure some of the UK's most high profile, complex and stimulating projects to complement their existing portfolio of works.
We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of some of the UK's most prestigious and challenging schemes and we are currently working on behalf of Network Rail, Rail Operating Companies and Contractors throughout the UK on Grip 2 to 8 stages of major infrastructure projects and frameworks, designing and engineering complex technical solutions to meet / exceed our client's needs. Our clients include Network Rail (nationwide), Transport for London (London Underground / Overground), HS2, CrossRail etc.The Opportunity
As an Associate Technical Director - Rail Telecommunications, you will be required to assist in driving the strategy of Technical Excellence, you will ensure technical quality of project outputs, support pursuit to win strategy, business development and marketing our innovation.Key Responsibilities / Duties
Reporting to professional head of Discipline, you will:
- Take a leadership role with the project team, undertaking CRE role and providing direction and leading by example where appropriate.
- Manage the delivery of projects in accordance with Management Systems to meet time, quality, budgetary and health and safety targets.
- Manage all aspects of the client relationship so that delivery meets or exceeds client expectations.
- Working to ensure maximum client satisfaction, championing client care and proactively working with the client.
- Promote both the regional and global culture of the business.
- Encourage SHE feedback and take a lead in solving SHE issues.
• Build strong working relationships with other teams and technical disciplines, Arcadis offices and external organisations to foster cooperation and to identify cross-sell and trade-up opportunities.
- Engage with and champions the involvement and inclusion of Arcadis Global resources ensuring that local staff understand the benefits of their utilisation as team resources.
- Support technical direction at a subject level.
- Manage discipline department staff.
- Lead the delivery of projects ensuring client satisfaction, effective project management and good communication and collaboration between Arcadis colleagues.
- Select, lead and develop the project team, to ensure they have the necessary skills to deliver the project, they understand and are engaged with the project strategy, brief and client requirements, and to manage their delivery of project objectives.
- Coordinate and manage project teams and large size projects of single (own) discipline engineers or mid - large size multi-disciplinary project teams, ensuring client satisfaction, effective project management and good communication and collaboration between Arcadis colleagues.
- Coach and mentor engineering professionals to support the development of Arcadis' talent pool.
- Provide specialised technical input to major/complex studies and design for staff's specific area of expertise
- Develop and propose potential solutions, including solutions that fall outside the standard codes where appropriate, to meet or exceed client expectations. Guide clients through the technical decision-making process and provide alternative solutions if there are changes to project parameters.
- Resolves differences of opinion between designers and checkers.
- Lead interdisciplinary reviews of project deliverables.
- Perform independent technical review for projects of moderate complexity.
- Build strong working relationships with other teams and technical disciplines, Arcadis offices and external organisations to foster cooperation and to identify cross-sell and trade-up opportunities.
- Manage the performance of team members and sub-contractors, identifying and ensuring the resolution of any issues.
- Develop strong, partnering relationships with senior client personnel in order to identify and resolve issues, to identify business opportunities and to influence their decision making.
- Engage with the client and all key stakeholders to develop a shared understanding of project objectives and to establish protocols for working together.
- Manage technical client relationships and plays a major role in pursuits.
- Lead technical business development work.
- Provide input into specific technical aspects of individual bids to support the production of high-quality winning bids.
- Keep up to date with developments in the industry sector and with technical and legislative developments and seek out opportunities to develop a strong professional profile at a National level (e.g. conference presentations, publications and participation in technical committees).
- Maintain records of Continuing Professional Development and are able to make these available for audit by their professional institution.
- Experienced in leading, and working with, people from varied disciplines, backgrounds and cultures within a Rail environment.
- Fully conversant with GRIP process, Railway Group Standards, Network Rail and or London Underground Company Standards and CDM Regulations
- A good understanding of Network Rail and or London Underground Telecoms assets and project lifecycle on multidiscipline railway projects
• Plan for effective project implementation.
- Manage the planning and organisation of tasks, people and resources.
- Technically competent to undertake engineering design, managing design team and ability to adapt to quick changes in design
- Manage teams and develop staff to meet changing technical and managerial needs.
- Understand cross discipline interfaces and be able to manage design assurance including technical review, attending IDC/IDR.
- Manage quality processes.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement through quality management.
- Have experience in managing business relationships at senior management level.
- Have strong consulting skills including project management and client relationship management at senior management level.
- A good knowledge of following systems subsystem with proven track records of system design through technically complex, varied and successful project.
- Trackside equipment
- Copper and fibre cabling
- Immunisation against EMI
- Lineside Telephones and Concentrator System
- Fixed Telecommunications Network (FTN and FTNx)
- Multiprotocol Label Switching Networks (MPLS)
- Radio systems in UK Rail operations (GSM-R primarily)
- Station and Building network infrastructure -
- Structured Cabling infrastructure - Copper and fibre optic
- Internet Protocol Closed Circuit Television (IP-CCTV) Systems
- EN54 Public Address and Voice Alarm Systems
- Integrated Station / Building Management Systems (ISMS, IBMS)
- Customer Information Systems (CIS)
- IP based Access Control Systems
- Multi-mode Intruder Detection Systems
- Wireless Network Architecture
- UPS System
- Willing to travel and work at various locations within the UK, which may include unsocial hours on an occasional basis.
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions.
Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Qualifications Key Qualifications
- Have a BSc/BEng or MSc/MEng or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Have achieved Chartered or Incorporated Engineer professional status, or equivalent.
- Have relevant experience including leadership of the development and implementation of engineering solutions.