VA - Validus
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
Talbot Underwriting Services Ltd (TS1)Job Title
Assistant Underwriter Department
War & Terrorism Responsible to
Senior Class Underwriter Direct Reports
None Purpose of Role
To underwrite risks in accordance with Talbot's underwriting philosophy and within own authority limits. To support and assist Deputy Underwriters/ Class Underwriters/ Senior Class Underwriters in the team. To assist the Senior Class Underwriter in delivering strategy and business plans. To assist the Senior Class Underwriter to ensure all underwriters underwrite risks in accordance with the Company's agreed appetite, authorities and processes. To assist in managing the overall portfolio. To provide professional, prompt service to brokers and clients. Responsibilities
- To comply with the terms of personal underwriting authority, in particular requirements to obtain and evidence post-bind countersignature.
- To assist the Senior Class Underwriter in ensuring that Underwriting Guidelines are reviewed and updated at least annually.
- To assist in ensuring that business is conducted, processed and administered in accordance with the prevailing applicable policies, procedures and agreed service levels.
- To assist in ensuring that premium entries in Subscribe are reviewed and accurately maintained in accordance with applicable procedures.
- To act in accordance with all regulatory standards and principles at all times.
- To provide information and assistance as needed to ensure that other syndicate staff can carry out their responsibilities including the production of reports for the business planning process.
- To assist underwriters with the administration of the document management and workflow systems including the copying and scanning of slips, contract certainty checklists, pricing pro-forma and other risk information as requested and maintenance of the syndicate's files and records. To make every reasonable effort to increase own knowledge, skills and expertise in order to:
Further personal development within the Assistant Underwriter role.
Reach a position where promotion to a more senior role is feasible. Person SpecificationExperience
- At least 18 months experience as Underwriting Assistant in one class of business
- Intermediate Excel
- 5 GCSEs including English and Maths
- Educated to degree level
- Diploma in insurance (DipCII)
- Able to operate independently with little direction or guidance. Self-reliance, use of initiative - a "self-starter".
- Able to assist Class/ Senior Class Underwriters.
- Able to prioritize.
- Strong team working approach.
- Verbal, written and professional presence and ability to communicate at all levels with good negotiation skills.
- Strong communication/ interpersonal skills.
- Calm, rational and methodical approach.
- Strategic Perspective
- Commercial Acumen
- Analytical Skills and Judgement
- Innovation and Change Mindset
- Client Focus
- Communication and Influence
- Building High Performing Teams
- Execution and Achievement Orientation
- Talent Development
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.