Atkins' Building Design division combines the best in architectural & engineering creativity and innovation to provide a full suite of services to clients in the public and private sectors. We have a global reach and rich heritage in designing intelligent, sustainable and smart solutions. Our diverse, highly skilled and passionate people are unified by an enduring belief that good design positively transform people's lives. We apply a design rigor blended with our keen and astute eye for quality, to ensure we deliver fantastic projects that inspire and delight.
We are looking to recruit a gifted and talented design focused Architect
to further expand our team in Birmingham
. The successful candidate would form a valuable part of a national team focusing upon and specializing in transport architecture, particularly rail stations. The successful candidate will help drive our market leadership in this important sector whilst supporting our local, regional and national teams creating imaginative and innovative design solutions.
The successful candidate will be someone with passion, drive and enthusiasm for the positive impact great stations have on people and social prosperity, whilst transforming the travel experience and creating civic gateways and destinations. We are seeking a candidate with a balance of skills across the RIBA stages, able to formulate clear visual communications and articulate great ideas.
The successful candidate will join a strong and dynamic national architectural practice with in excess of 450 staff. We are committed to great design, technical excellence, user centricity, wellbeing and digital transformation.
A strong pillar in our transformation is an ever-increasing adoption of advanced design technologies - the successful candidate will be able to provide strong evidence their passions in this field and an eagerness to help us drive our practice forward.
We want to continually grow our capability with people who set high standards, embrace change and want to be at the fore-front of architectural innovation.Responsibilities
- In addition to the normal responsibilities and day-to-day activities of a strong design-focused Architect, you will;
- Take ownership of small and medium scale design opportunities, taking them through from inception to completion.
- Collaborate with, help drive and shape larger teams working on more complex propositions.
- Ensure our design responses are creative, imaginative, smart and forward thinking.
- Safeguard the quality of our technical responses, making them realistic, deliverable and robust.
- Respond to the client brief, maximizing all opportunities and respecting constraints.
- Prepare and present design work and outcomes throughout the RIBA stages.
- Work collaboratively with other design and engineering disciplines to develop, test and commend integrated design.
- Validate design concepts and technical outcomes using appropriate evidence.
- Interface with clients and stakeholders to prepare, plan and execute great design and world-class delivery.
- Communicate and coordinate information in a mixed portfolio of media to clients, contractors, co-consultants and peers.
- Work as part of an integrated team.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
- Sound experience of architecture and of delivery of architectural projects through all stages.
- A suitable and relevant architectural qualification to support the above.
- A clear understanding of the Rail / Stations sector outlined above including sound opinions with regards current and future issues that will influence architecture and design in this field.
- Able to demonstrate experience delivering projects on site.
- Passion for design and interest in developments within the architecture and construction industries.
- Capable of working and completing tasks independently as well as demonstrating strong teamwork skills.
- Able to draw 'free hand' sketches and illustrate.
- Able to develop ideas and solutions in 3D including good working knowledge of a range of modelling software (ie. Sketchup, Revit, Lumien, Enscape, 3DS Max).
- Proficient in digital design including BIM with sound experience of applied working in Autodesk Revit or Bentley MicroStation.
- Able to participate in design and technical reviews amongst your peers.
- Proficient in the use of Adobe software suite including InDesign, Photoshop and illustrator.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.