Jacobs is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. With 2017 revenues of over £10 billion, we offer support to industrial, commercial and government clients across multiple markets. Our primary markets include: the built environment, aerospace and defence; chemicals and polymers; energy; environmental programmes; oil and gas; pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
Established in 1947, Jacobs now operates in over 30 countries worldwide.
Jacobs has identified an exciting opportunity to work in our Barrow-in-Furness office, working as an Apprentice Project Controller, principally work across two BAE Systems frameworks. The individual will provide general support to Civil and Structural Engineering Project Managers who manage the design and construction of building projects. The successful candidates will be mentored by our highly experienced Project Controllers and will be expected to rapidly become productive team members, working on live projects.
During your employment you will complete a Level 6 Project Management related course over a 4 to 5-year period. Depending on the training provider, this could set up on as part time study basis or day release whilst also contributing to and gaining work experience through our projects. Your studies will be a supervised programme of training which can lead to Membership of the Association of Project Managers. About the role
Site Regeneration Programme (SRP)
The BAE Systems Site Regeneration Programme (SRP) involves the redevelopment of the Barrow shipyard where the British fleet of nuclear submarines is constructed. This eight‑year programme involves the design and construction of a series of complex new manufacturing facilities, modification of existing facilities, associated office accommodation and delivery of supporting infrastructure, both within and outside the nuclear licensed site.
The programme is made up of circa 20 projects across nuclear site and non-nuclear sites with a capital expenditure of over £500 million which is expected to continue through to 2025.
Jacobs provide a range of professional services for the above projects including civil and structural design works, through all project stages from concept design to supervision of construction for new-build works and facility modifications.
Site Engineering Authority - Devonshire Dock Complex (SEA(DDC)
The project requires Jacobs to provide specialist consultancy services to the client for the provision of advice and support for on-going and emerging tasks relating to the nuclear facility at BAE Systems site in Barrow-in-Furness. Tasks include the following;
- General support for updates to nuclear safety case documentation (including Design Substantiation Report production)
- Support to facility baseline and life extension plans (including completion of building manuals, condition surveys, etc)
- Support for facility modifications to the Shiplift and transfer system
- Successor facilities
A range of other projects outside the nuclear boundary are also undertaken under this framework. Typical outputs required from Jacobs for both frameworks are as follows:
- To prepare reports/documentation on BAE Systems behalf
- To prepare reports, calculations, drawings & specifications as required to substantiate existing facility/enable development of existing or new facilities
Key elements of the role include:
- Gaining experience within the three key areas of Project Controls - Estimating, Planning and Cost Control.
- Controlling and maintaining accurate records for project finances.
- Responsible for forecasting 'estimate to completes', managing fees and controlling variations on a project.
- Liaising with key project members to ensure project deliverables are met in accordance with the programme.
- Identifying and mitigating project risks.
- Speaking with and developing relationships with the project delivery team, including the client.
- Attending and representing Jacobs on site, meetings and client / consultants and contractor offices.
- Taking responsibility for key lines of communication across the project.
- Working on projects nationwide, with potential opportunity to work abroad.
Regular meetings / engagements will be conducted by the successful candidate and their assigned 'buddy' and line manager.Essential:
- 5 GCSE's grades A-C or equivalent qualification
- 3 A'levels or Level 3 BTech in relevant subjects such as Engineering, Science, Project Management
- Good communications skills both written and verbal
- High numeracy, literacy and IT skills
Useful information Closing date
- Be creative, practical, innovative, adaptable and persevering
- Have a strong interested in people, cost and quality management
- Be able to think in a methodical way to plan, manage and organise
- Relevant work experience / background
- Ability to work as part of a team while also having plenty of your own initiative.
: 12th April 2020Expected Start date
: Mid-AugustCourse Enrolment
: September 2020Number of roles
: 1Working week
: 9:00am - 6:00pm / 40 hours per week (study day release)Office address
: Jacobs, Unit 16 Trinity Enterprise Centre, Ironworks Way, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Our additional benefits include:
- Permanent role with up to 32 days paid annual leave
- Flexible benefits including, flexible hours, contributory pension scheme
- 360 support from line manager, buddies, mentor, Learning and Talent management and a wide graduate network or past and new cohort
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero' by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.