The NHS England BME staff network believes that, in order for every individual to reach their full potential, there must be no fear of discrimination or prejudice and a belief that career opportunities or experience of work is not predetermined by ethnicity, nationality or colour.
Membership is open to NHS England staff from BME heritage, and those with a positive interest in driving forward race equality within NHS England as an individual employer. Please email [email protected] if you would like to join the network.
We recognise that current data indicates differential experience and outcomes for BME staff compared to those who are White, White Irish and White Other. However, with the shift in England’s demographics and to be inclusive we are using the widest terminology of BME for membership of the network.
Our aims are to:
- encourage NHS England to maintain a safe and positive working environment for BME staff and the elimination of racial discrimination for employees and patients
- support NHS England to develop and maintain a representative workforce with inclusive leadership, and to raise the visibility and profile of the contribution that NHS England BME staff members make
- maintain and expand the membership of the NHS England BME staff network to provide a forum where BME staff can share experience and issues affecting their work and professional development
- engage with other groups, including other internal and external staff networks, trade unions, employer associations and community groups who share a common agenda or experience of eliminating disadvantage, addressing unmet needs or increasing participation
- offer support and encouragement to other underrepresented or marginalised staff networks
- work in partnership with NHS England to ensure compliance with Equality and Human Rights legislation relating to race equality, and to develop and implement national policies and strategy.