Category: Employer Focus, Government, agency, maritime and coastguard agency, goverment agency
Maritime & Coastguard Agency: A Day in the Life of a Records Officer at Maritime and Coastguard Agency
The Corporate Records Management unit (Corp RM) is located in the MCA headquarters at Spring Place, Southampton, just round the corner from the Central Rail Station. The unit is part of the Corporate Developments division, which also includes Corporate Reporting, Corporate Projects, and Information Assurance.
The role of Corp RM is to provide records management for all Registered files within the Agency, and maintain the Agency's Registered file system, currently 300,000+ files either in storage or out in the Agency. This is the formal record keeping system of the Agency. Corp RM uses a bespoke database system to input and keep track of this data, and interacts with all MCA employees through email, phone, and walk-in requests.
The Records Officer’s responsibilities include:
• Copying data from paper to input onto a bespoke computer database system
• Using a website to order and archive files
• Updating the database from an Excel spreadsheet of data
• Answering queries on the telephone, email and in person
• Raising new files, transferring files, closing files, archiving files
• Assembly of physical files (folding cardstock, etc.)
• Opening and processing deliveries of files
• Some manual handling of boxes containing files (H&S training provided)
The role needs a person who:
• Can do repetitive work over a long period of time without losing concentration or accuracy
• Is accurate and precise in their work
• Is confident using email, telephone and Internet
• Can use and understand Excel spreadsheets
• Is comfortable switching back and forth between screens and using multiple programmes simultaneously (database, Excel, Internet, etc.)
The Records Officer must be able to provide good customer service when dealing with queries, and will ideally have experience in data entry work. As the role develops, there may be opportunities to become involved in project work within the unit.
VERCIDA works with over one hundred clients who are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. If you are an employer and interested in working with VERCIDA to promote your diversity and inclusion initiatives and attract the best candidates, please call 02037405973 or email [email protected] for more information.
We are also officially recommended by Disability Confident as a step on achieving Employer status, please click here for more information.